Swing & all GUI toolkit work takes a while to get your head around,
especially if you have only worked on the backend, and there is way too
much to put in a few emails.  One idea is that Swing (as any GUI toolkit)
is fundamentally single threaded.

The first thing that strikes me is "setFocus()". More typically you would
call a "request-Focus()" type method, and even that would be put in Swing's
Event Dispatch Thread (EDT) with an "invokeLater" call.

I've hacked around in Swing for 10+ years - but I'm far from an expert.

Perhaps stop trying to control the focus (try to leave that to Swing where
possible).

If you are playing / learning it might be good to follow an existing
start-to-finish tutorial.

Just some clues, so YMMV.
Cheers,