On 7/16/19 2:45 PM, Geertjan Wielenga wrote:
The point of the symbolic link is to not create it in the /var/ folder but in /home/charles/somewhere, i.e., in your home directory.

Okay, I have created a symlink:

$ sudo ln -s /var/www /home/charles/netbeanslink

...which gives me:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Jul 16 14:53 netbeanslink -> /var/www/

That works! I can now navigate to the source directory of my Website
inside NetBeans. I'll use the symlink method as a workaround.

I'm on Ubuntu myself, when I open the /var/ folder in my Favorites window, one of the subolders I see below /var/ is 'spool', which for some reason you do not see.

The /spool/ folder exists in my /var/ directory (as shown on an earlier
email) but is one of many that are not seen by NetBeans.

...maybe there's something very specific about your system that's
hard to identify, maybe NetBeans is set up in some very weird way
that I've never heard of.

There are several versions of NetBeans available. I happened to use the Discover application installer in Kubuntu. I bypassed the available version 10.0 and selected version 11.0 using Flatpak as the source. (Version 11.0 is also available from Snap.)

--
Charles Brockman