Scott, glad to hear I'm not the only one with major headaches.  Java 8 and
Java 11 are such vastly different creatures I don't see how anyone would
expect NB to address both equally well.  It militates for a break in
compatibility with the IDE in my opinion.  Those who want to stay on Java 8
can continue using NB 11.  Those of us who move forward should not be held
back by an antiquated IDE that tries to live in two entirely different
worlds.