@Pete
No there is a XML declaration + DTD in my updates.xml, I've checked again.
Maybe you viewed the xml file using the builtin Firefox viewer which hides the
XML declaration part...
If the XML was malformed I guess it would not work at all: in my case it works
fine for the 1st update (with a clean NB user dir). There must be something in
the user dir which prevents the next update, I checked the autoupdate
preferences but was not able to find something abnormal...

    Le mercredi 12 février 2020 à 14:05:58 UTC+1, Peter Hull