NetBeans is simply a wrapper around your Maven command line and the POM
defines your project. Where would you normally put that file in a normal
Maven project is where you would put it in your project in NetBeans:

http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-the-standard-directory-layout.html

Gj