As far back as in NB8 did I on rare occasions get weird results on refactor/renaming. I never had the time to disrupt what i was working on and to drill down what actually triggered this. I don't recall how I worked around that, though.

In almost all cases does it work as expected.

Maybe, as a first step, a special refactoring-bug reporting menu item could be created with which one could submit a file that failed.

Cheers
Eduard