Paul, many of us "feel your pain" with what Oracle did to JavaFX.  But all
is not lost.  Take a look here:  http://netbeans.apache.org/kb/docs/java/

Scroll down to the JavaFX section and click on the first item.  You will
see how completely easy it is to develop JavaFX with Netbeans and Maven.
Of course, deployment is a different story but Gluon has some good
information about how to install JavaFX.  Once installed, it's installed --
until you want to upgrade to the next release and then it is also quite
simple.  The main difference is defining the module path.

It's a terrible shame all the big players have decided a browser is a "good
enough" interface for users.  For those of us old enough to remember how
efficient a character interface was to get work done a browser will just
never be adequate.  But, as you know, we can get pretty close to that
efficiency with either Swing or JavaFX.