On 5/8/20 12:42 AM, Alan wrote:
On 2020-05-08 01:17, Emilian Bold wrote:
Seems really awful product-wise to have a recommendation for a 'Restart IDE' plugin!

It's just realistic. Every complex program has bugs of one sort or another. Memory leaks or some broken data structure, an index that doesn't get cleaned up and thus gets slower and slower. A cosmic ray flips a bit that ECC doesn't detect...

If something goes weird, like line numbers start disappearing in an editor, you can wait for whatever causes that to start doing some real damage or just start clean. Sometimes it's a good reminder to restart your whole system for exactly the same reasons. It is frustrating but "have you tried turning it off and back on again" still resolves a disturbingly large number of technical support issues.

Restarts are going to be required until all code is perfect... until then a mechanism to make it relatively painless isn't a bad thing.

Some of that, at least under a Linux based system, is because of the way system software is updated. Updating software while the system is running is bound to cause major issues.

Anyway, I've had issues like this ever since I started using Netbeans. Often times the editor shows a red line as if there were an error but no red badge or red mark in the scroll bar. I have to restart the IDE to fix it.