Chris,

Yes, please do let us know if you're using ant or maven if you're still
stuck after checking out David's suggestions.  Personally, I would
recommend maven (or gradle).

Also, as Gj referenced, if you've got a sample project in Github,
bitbucket, or somewhere that we can take a look, more specific help might
be offered.

I created a project here https://github.com/carljmosca/jxl-demo with the
library (using the included demo code) but it seems a bit dated.  I don't
do much with Office docs/spreadsheets
 these days but I think the one that David recommended is current.

After building it in NetBean, I ran it from the command line like this: java
-jar target/jxl-demo-1.0.jar -ps somefile.xls

HTH,
Carl

--
Carl J. Mosca