Thanks for the information. Now I know I'm not going mad or doing something
wrong.

Given that I will be working with PHP/xdebug rather than Java for the time
being, do I lose
anything by dumping Apache Netbeans 12 and going back to Netbeans 8.2?

Apologies if this seems a dumb question. I am just a casual user and last used
Netbeans in
earnest back in 2017. Coming back to it, it seemed like a good time to
upgrade...

Thanks again.