Probably the support for Java EE applications should be removed, or made
available as an external plugin since, as pointed out above, the
applicable approach nowadays is to use WARs and REST calls.

So, rather than it being strange that this doesn't work out of the box, it
is strange that it is in the box at all. :-)

Gj