I've been beating my head over this for several days. Thought maybe it was a
nb-javac issue. I deactivated nb-javac plugin to eliminate. I have a jar I
created with shaded plugin. I compile with "java platform:" JDK 11 and
"Source/Binary Format:" 11. The default JDK for netbeans is 11. My original
problem was with System.getProperty("java.runtime.version"). I thought that
would give me the running JDK, instead I get what class was compiled with in
Netbeans. Next I tried running my shaded jar (everything with JDK 11) with java
version 1.8 expecting to get a miss-match. It ran fine with the getProperty
reporting 11. I first tried asking this question here:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/69228399/java-system-getpropertyjava-runtime-version-not-reporting-correctly

Maybe I wasn't clear. Obviously, I'm missing something?