I have found myself cajoled into using IntelliJ because it allows one to
use Java and Kotlin sources simultaneously. To do this however, I have had
to create a new project using Gradle and copy my Java sources to this new
project because IntelliJ thumbs it's nose at Ant projects. So, now I am
pondering the prospect of continuing with the Ant project in NetBeans and
discarding the Kotlin sources, or making the transition to Gradle (and
perhaps IntelliJ) permanent. The second option (minus the move to IntelliJ
perhaps) is inevitable, but I do feel as though IntelliJ is making the
decision on what is an appropriate build tool for me at a time when I do
not think it necessary to entertain such a move.

I'd like it better if NetBeans was able to intermix Kotlin and Java in a
way similar to IntelliJ, but without making a judgement call on what build
tool I choose to use.