Hi Mark,
I think this CPU abuse happens independent of project size or resources.  I
already had modified my netbeans.conf to give it plenty of heap (2-4gb),
but I’m not even running anything  ‘large’ - when this happens, there are
always only two projects open in the IDE - one is a library project with
just a couple dozen java files and a J2SE project with less than 100 source
files.  Downright puny!  A few years back I was working on a  project with
5000 java files and NB never even broke a sweat.  This bug with external
changes causing NB a tizzy has been around for awhile.  I think there was a
way to turn external checking off, but I can’t seem to find it right now.
Plus the disadvantage would be that when I do occasionally externally
inject changes (eg copying an image file into the project source tree), NB
might not react appropriately. :-(

Anyway, any further suggestions, let me know.  Much appreciated.

Tom

p.s. has anyone noticed that macOS Monterey now no longer has an “Anywhere”
option in System Settings->Security & Privacy->General->Allow apps
downloaded from ??? Annoying as hell.  It’s already refused to run half a
dozen things I downloaded and wanted to run - have to manually give an
exception :-(  Does anyone know of a way to turn this off?  I haven’t tried
downloading a new version of NB lately, but macOS won’t run that either, I
don’t think, without manual exception.