Although I do it often enough, I'm not a fan of wrapping a checked
exception in a RuntimeException or even another checked exception like
IOException. I think this solution is ugly, bug prone, and can be avoided
through what I believe are relatively minor and unobtrusive enhancements
given in my suggestions.

Furthermore:

On Fri, 29 Oct 2021 at 11:48, Owen Thomas <owen.paul.tho...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> The emphasis above is used to underscore the utility that my suggestion is
> trying to convey. I think that with perhaps a few tweaks, this is a
> flexible suggestion. Although I do not (not yet perhaps... I just need a
> compelling reason to) know much about Java modules, this system of
> selectively dealing with checked exceptions appears as a very good
> candidate for expression there.

It definitely looks like the best place to express a feature like this is
in a Java module descriptor. Changes would also be made primarily to the
language specification, and also perhaps to the JVM - though I'm not too
sure if this is necessary. Hece, any other "deployment descriptor" I have
mentioned in my previous email refers to the Java module descriptor. My
ramblings were still perhaps too unsettled to make this clear; I hope I'm
writing something sensible here.

Have a good day.