From: "Pieter van den Hombergh" <pieter.van.den.hombe...@gmail.com>
To: "COlsen" <col...@mchsi.com>
Cc: "users" <users@netbeans.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, November 19, 2021 9:01:17 AM
Subject: Re: Netbeans development on the Mac

Hi Chris,

I had some success with a deployable toy project using link and package. I
have created a github repo for this small demo project at
https://github.com/homberghp/fxsurveyor
It is derived from a former student exercise.
Details to the zip file: It is a multimodule maven file, and consist of two
submodules: a javafx component called fxtriangulate and a GUI application
using the javafx component called surveyor.
I use linux, but as far as the javafx theory goes, you should be able to
adapt it to your mac osx needs using the information in
https://codetinkering.com/how-to-use-jpackage-tool-cli-for-macos-apps/
I followed (for linux) the guidelines on
https://dev.to/cherrychain/javafx-jlink-and-jpackage-h9

To play with it, use the following steps.
1. Download (clone) the project.
2. in the resulting directory do 'mvn compile'
3. go to the app dir with 'cd surveyor'
4 mvn -P fx javafx:jlink to produce a linked version. which results in a
zip file that can be deployed. At this stage you should be able to run the
run.sh command in the surveyor dir.
5 mvn -P fx jpackage:package Results in a debian package (for the kind of
linux I run on). After you have applied the tweaks described in
https://codetinkering.com/how-to-use-jpackage-tool-cli-for-macos-apps/
it should result in a dmg file for your mac osx, at least that is how the
theory goes.

Success.

On Thu, Nov 18, 2021 at 4:06 PM Chris Olsen <col...@mchsi.com> wrote:

> Hello, Everyone --
>
>   I am a seriously amateur JavaFX programmer and have written a freeware
> statistical package for high school teachers of Advanced Placement
> Statistics.  I have no trouble packaging my program for the PC, but
> commonly teachers run afoul of the Mac Gatekeeper when trying to install
> the program.  (They are not typically comfortable with doing anything on
> the terminal command line.)
>
>   I am willing (grumble, grumble) to pony up the $99/year to support my
> program in the App Store, but not willing to desert Netbeans. (Old dog, new
> tricks.)
>  The U.S. education system being what it is, teachers have Macs varying in
> age from long in the tooth to the new Macs with the M1 chip. So I have two
> questions:
>
>   1.  How much of a headache would it be to develop (actually translate)
> and package for a variety of Mac OSs?
>
>   2.  What are good sources (books, URLs, whatever) where I can learn more
> about how to do this?
>
>   Thanks in advance!
>
>   -- Chris

Pieter Van den Hombergh.
No software documentation is complete with out it's source code.