Hi all,

I decided to try out the latest version of NetBeans, but am running into a
serious problem. After even just a few minutes of work, it gets into a
state where trying to rename a class creates a popup that says:

    Cannot refactor XXX.java that is defined outside of an open project.

After this happens, I've also noticed that, when using the "Net Java Class"
dialogue, that "superclass"  and "interfaces" browsing no longer finds
classes defined in my project. This makes me suspicious that the index is
being corrupted somehow, but that's just a guess.

Here's my configuration version from the About page:

Product Version: Apache NetBeans IDE 12.6
Java: 17.0.1; OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM 17.0.1+12-Ubuntu-120.04
Runtime: OpenJDK Runtime Environment 17.0.1+12-Ubuntu-120.04
System: Linux version 5.4.0-91-generic running on amd64; UTF-8; en_CA (nb)

My OS is "Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS".

My project is a java library built with Gradle, and was created, fresh,
using this version of NetBeans. In other words, I didn't import an existing
project. I created a new project and copied in existing files that were, in
fact, created with NetBeans 12.6.

I have tried this both with, and without, the "nb-javac" plugin installed,
since other notes on this thread suggest that the plugin should not be
installed when using newer javac releases. I've tried installing NetBeans
using Snap and the installer. Currently, I'm using the installer downloaded
directly from the NetBeans site and "nb-javac" is not installed.

I'm wondering if these are problems in the NetBeans 12.6 release, or if
there's some incompatibility with my environment.

(1) Does anyone else see this?
(2) Should I be using a different JDK? I'm using the latest Java 17 OpenJDK
release that's in the Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS release.

Jim Mayer