On 03.06.22 18:53, Glenn Holmer wrote:
On 6/3/22 09:12, Michael Bien wrote:
the default platform is the JDK NB is running on. If you don't define
any platform that is what NB is going to use.

I suppose NB could allow setting a different platform as default, but it
can't do that atm, since default means "runtime".

changing it right now would require to set it in netbeans.conf and restart
https://github.com/apache/netbeans#log-config-and-cache-locations
Nope, doesn't work. In netbeans.conf, the installer left
netbeans_jdkhome unset, so I set it to "/opt/jdk-17.0.2". The About box
shows that it is indeed running on 17.0.2, but the dialog still looks
the same as in the previous screenshot. It looks to me like one of those
things where it's working properly but isn't displayed right.

The one listed as default, btw, is the one that Debian installed.

to exclude that this is an issue with the installation layout of the JDK distribution you use. Try downloading a JDK zip from a vendor of your choice, extract it somewhere and point the property in netbeans.conf at it.

I change this config fairly often for testing purposes and never experienced something like that.

I do have also JDK 8, 11, 17 and 18 installed locally via manjaro's package manager, but I don't use those for NetBeans (since the projects aren't using those either post deployment. I test on whatever the program is supposed to run on in production.

as general note:

just because java -version works in your shell does not mean everything is correctly set up. It only means that the JVM can start. NetBeans needs a JDK.

best regards,

michael

don't remove it because it would break too many dependencies, but
instead use a symlink "/opt/java" pointing to jdk-17.0.2 or whatever
version I want to use (with the $PATH pointing to /opt/java before the
Debian one). Just for fun, I ran "bin/java -version" from the
"default's" directory and did get the correct response (i.e. "The
specified folder does not contain a Java platform" is incorrect).

--
Glenn Holmer (Linux registered user #16682)