Hello, problem solved, with one surprise:

I didn't realize that the expansion of code templates is limited to locations
where the expansion would create correct code, so some of my tests (that led me
to believe I had a problem) were invalid. I never discovered this because
(apparently) I never used "sout"+tab except where it would create legal code.
Most tests I now make follow this idea. The counter examples are

for (int i = 0; i < 5; i++) { <> }

in which replacing "<>" with "sout" + tab produces "System.out.println("");",
exactly as expected.

However, in

or (int i = 0; i < 5; i++)  <>

replacing "<>" with "sout" + tab produces "sout" and a tab's worth of spaces. A
for-each loop to traverse an ArrayList behaves exactly the same. OTOH an "if"
statement doesn't share this property, nor does a "while" loop.

It is curious that the "for" loops will only expand the template if their
controlled blocks are surrounded with curly braces. I have duplicated the
problem after restarting NB and/or reboot.โ€‚Caveat: I have not tested this
situation on more than 2 projects. I use NetBeans 16 running on Windows 10.

Chris Lanz

340 Dunn Hall, SUNY Potsdam

lan...@potsdam.edu

315 268 1547