Hi Andreas,

first as a note: NB requires JDK 11 or later as runtime as you can see on the download page (and readme etc). NB 17 specifically was tested on 11, 17 and 19. NB 18 will support running on JDK 20 too. (update that first)

But this might not fix this issue. I never saw that happening before, it might potentially be an issue with fonts of your linux distribution (ubuntu default fonts should work fine though).

Are you using the NetBeans default (FlatLaf) look and feel or are you trying to use native GTK LAF? (try switching to FlatLaf)

some resources:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Font+Rendering+Issues
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Look+and+Feel+Issues

(most if not all of them can be simply fixed by keeping JDK up2date and not using the native linux LAF)

best regards,
michael