I gave up on Maven a couple of years ago for the reasons already given.  No
matter what size partition I used it would be too small within a year or
so.  I used to grab the dependencies I needed and switched off the Maven
Index download in NB.

Recently (couple of years) I started using the Maven repository again but
through Gradle. Gradle does not load and decompress the whole index.
Gradle loads solely the dependencies (artifact : group : version) specified
in the build.gradle file.  When building, Gradle loads the dependency files
into a folder under ~/.gradle if it's not already there.

I liked it so much that I'm now migrating my Ant builds to Gradle as and
when.  I might do the Maven projects too.

I was wondering if that part of Gradle's functionality could be recruited
to selectively download relevant dependencies.  It looks like the Maven pom
contains the same information as Gradle's dependencies configuration.

Please forgive me if this seems daft to you.

Regards