On Tue, 14 Mar 2023 at 12:31, Emma Atkinson <emma.atkins...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Recently (couple of years) I started using the Maven repository again but
> through Gradle. Gradle does not load and decompress the whole index.  Gradle
> loads solely the dependencies (artifact : group : version) specified in the
> build.gradle file.  When building, Gradle loads the dependency files into a
> folder under ~/.gradle if it's not already there.

Maven works the same way.  See ~/.m2

> I was wondering if that part of Gradle's functionality could be recruited to
> selectively download relevant dependencies.  It looks like the Maven pom
> contains the same information as Gradle's dependencies configuration.
>
> Please forgive me if this seems daft to you.

This isn't really about Maven vs Gradle behaviour, but differences in
how they're supported in the IDE.  In some ways, it would be good to
have Maven searching work similarly in Gradle.  OTOH, be good to not
download and index the entirety of Maven central IMO.

Best wishes,

Neil