I have two modules in maven that both produce slightly different
configurations of a war file. Lets call them war1 and war2.  War1 has all
the html js, css, etc and base config. War2 uses the same html, css and
most of the same js and some different configurations in web and context
xml files.

This was accomplished via the war plugin with the webResource configuration
option. See
https://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-war-plugin/examples/adding-filtering-webresources.html

War1's sources are inaccessible with the message war1 cannot be used here,
see issue #13810 for more information.
War2 however has access to all the sources.

This is the complete opposite of what it should be in my opinion. The files
are in the war1/src/main however war2's src/main/ is pretty much empty.

This isn't isolated to war files eithers. Within the pom jar projects can
be the following:

-     <sourceDirectory>${project.basedir}/src/main/java</sourceDirectory>
-
<testSourceDirectory>${project.basedir}/src/test/java</testSourceDirectory>
-     <resources>
      <resource>

-         <directory>${project.basedir}/src/main/resources</directory>
-       </resource>
-     </resources>
-     <testResources>
-       <testResource>
-         <directory>${project.basedir}/src/test/resources</directory>
-       </testResource>
-     </testResources>

src: https://maven.apache.org/pom.html
-
- This isn't a new problem. I recall seeing this in at least NB8 and
possibly sooner.
-
- So there a configuration to have the NB UI listed the correct ownership
of the resources instead of the opposite?