Hi,

the initial branch name seems to be hard coded atm:
https://github.com/apache/netbeans/blob/0322fce7c3f5c9335f2bcb00e5751de81fdb7ffb/ide/git/src/org/netbeans/modules/git/api/Git.java#L108

Better behavior would be to read out the 'init.defaultBranch' git property and use it if it was set. Feel free to file an issue or open a PR.

I just tested it with a fairly recent git build and the default branch is still called 'master' if it wasn't specified in the config file:

[tmp]$ git --version
[tmp]$ git version 2.42.0
[tmp]$ mkdir foo
[tmp]$ cd foo
[foo]$ git init
hint: Using 'master' as the name for the initial branch. This default branch name hint: is subject to change. To configure the initial branch name to use in all
hint: of your new repositories, which will suppress this warning, call:
hint:
hint:     git config --global init.defaultBranch <name>

best regards,
michael