On Wed, 6 Dec 2023 at 10:38, Andreas Reichel <andr...@manticore-projects.com>
wrote:

> 1) dependency resolution (including the understanding, what Class format
> the artifact is providing)
> 2) compiling and packaging based on the built classpath
>
> For 2), any Gradle will do.
> But for 1) Gradle needs to understand the particular Class formats and
> thus depends on the JDK version strictly.

Hmm... thanks for this info Andreas.

I would think that the JVM version is given in a jar's environment setup.
It might have to be known to the build tool only to check that the
destination JVM for the build is able to run the built artefact and all its
dependencies.

Anyway, I think Gradle is trying to make me appropriate someone else's
problems. I might use Maven in the future, and I'll hang on to my gradle
build at the moment (I'm getting incompatibility errors in my build but
these don't seem to have a material influence on what is being built), but
I may yet turn back to Ant. Although in a future time I may, I currently
use no third party libraries.

I think Gradle is making things too complicated for Java users. Bad.