Hi Mitch,

depends. This is a hard problem to solve, since it might be the right behavior in some cases, but not in others.

example: ctrl-z will move the view to the change, in some situations this is very useful and exactly what is expected from the IDE, in other cases (e.g reverting automatically added imports) the IDE shouldn't distract by scrolling to the top of the file.

N views at once make that even more interesting. There are certainly ways to improve this but I don't think there is a single/obvious way how it should behave - it is somewhat context dependent.

two more examples of scrolling related issues:
 - the output window stops scrolling as soon an exception is printed, this is a feature in 90% of all cases and super annoying in 10% of all cases, e.g if you dump stack traces in your log  - clicking a link in a scrolled pane did center that link - which was removed in NB 20 (last minute #6679) since that was annoying when a user clicked through a stack trace for example which made the view move slightly on every click.

maybe we should add a scroll-lock button or something like that

-mbien