1) you work with Gradle, where the Gradle Build file defines the build logic (and Netbeans has to follow it)

Agreed.

2) but (respectfully!) you still seem to look at it with "Ant" glasses, when Netbeans built the logic and the script for you (because no sane person could be bothered to built ant scripts from scratch)

Also agreed. The IDE provides functionality above and beyond the build script (otherwise why use an IDE?). If the IDE is able to "Run Single" or "Run focused Test Method" on the basis of the provided Gradle script, then I would find it a valuable feature to be able to do that on the command-line as well. If the IDE is not able to do this via Gradle, then it should not pretend to do so by outputting gradlew scripts.

In my understanding, this is pretty much a legacy from the ANT script days, when Netbeans was in the lead to define the build logic.
With Gradle indeed this may do more harm than good now.

Thanks for shattering this dream I was living in :)

Sounds like I was wrong all those years about how the IDE actually works. But I was also misled big time by the output window.

--
iSYS Software GmbH

Ulrich Mayring | Full Stack Developer
Technology Lab / R&D

Tel: +49 (0) 89 46 23 28-0 | Fax  +49 (0) 89 46 23 28-14
email: ulrich.mayr...@isys.de

Grillparzerstraße 10 | D-81675 München
www.isys.de

Sitz der Gesellschaft: München | HRB 111760
Geschäftsführer: Stefan Fischer und Max Haller