Are you running any plugins? Having just recently written a module to provide
support for a new language, I learned quite a bit how NetBeans does its work.
As you type there are quite a few scheduled tasks that are running in the
background and will do things like lexing/parsing to provide the syntax
highlighting, checking for hints etc. Generally this is very fast, and common
language support (e.g., Java), there should be no issues. However, if you are
using a plugin for custom language support or similar, it is possible that
there is an inefficiency in that plugin that might be taking time to process
and thus leading to delays in the display of text.

Alternatively, just as a general troubleshooting technique, I presume you've
tried running NetBeans 22 on a different non-lab computer? You should be able
to run the portable version directly without needing to install it, so it
should be quite easy to test. This would at least help to confirm that the
vanilla version is running OK, and the problem is thus related to some weird
conflict with the lab machines you are running it on, or a plugin (or similar).

For the record, I am running NetBeans 22 on Windows 11 with the Azul JDK 21 and
I'm not experiencing the issues that you have described.

Best regards,

Peter