Thanks for the prompt responses Mark.

The size of flow.xml.gz is 20 bytes. A zcat returns nothing.

I'm seeing the process run as sudo which seems ok but I never saw it listen
on port 8080. I suspect because it was initially running as root after I
ran install before I changed run.as setting, the non root user was failing
to write the logs as they were owned by root.

I changed the ownership back to the non root user and just manually su to
that user and ran it. This time was fine except I had already lost the
flows when I first ran as root.