Chris,

It's really odd that you would lose the flow. I tried to replicate. Created a
flow as myself. Then installed as a service as root. Restarted via "sudo
service nifi start" and everything was fine.
Then restarted as myself. This time, it failed to started because it didn't
have sufficient read permissions on flow.xml.gz.
Restarted as root and everything was fine.
Changed permissions and restarted as myself and all was fine.

Any other details as to what may have caused this to happen?

Thanks
-Mark