Jeff,

This would easily be handled by ExtractText [1] wherein you can specify a
regex to extract values from the content and add them as attributes on the
FlowFile.  For your case, you could use an ExtractText instance with a
dynamic property of a desired attribute name and regular expression.  The
InvokeHTTP could then make use of the attribute extracted via Expression
Language as you highlighted in your original message.

[1]
https://nifi.apache.org/docs/nifi-docs/components/org.apache.nifi.processors.standard.ExtractText/index.html