Well you have to separate the concepts of authentication and authorization...

The stuff you just highlighted from the admin guide is referring to
authentication options, which is how you identify a user is who they
say they are.

After authentication you then have a user identity that you need to authorize.

In most cases you probably would use LDAP for authentication and also
use the LDAP user-group-provider for authorization, but technically
that doesn't have to be the case.