Hey Mike,

I recently did something similar for a personal project. I ingested
Provenance data into a NoSQL store ( through a reporting task that also
indexed the data ), primarily querying upon the ProvenanceEventType.

I tracked some piece of information ( in my case the original file name
with an identifier ) and queried for event types to get an idea of what
occurred - for example I looked for ROUTE and ATTRIBUTES_MODIFIED to
determine which path my data took.

It was very easy to monitor the provenance event types for DROP and to
check if data succeeded or failed. I didn't concern myself with diving into
why data failed because I was worried that would be a bit more complex and
requires a bit more thought.

I originally had an ingest processor perform this notification but moved to
a provenance reporting task as it just worked so well ( at least for my
purposes ).

In my case the dashboard was a simple table that showed what file(s) I
uploaded and their state, flashing red if data took more than a
configurable period of time to complete ( fail or success). The table
linked to a separate query interface that would allow a deeper dive into
the provenance records so that i can dive into a problem set further if
failure or extreme latency occurred.  it was super simple...

Hope this helps,
Marc