Thank you, Dain.

This is helpful in that it reinforces my intuition to avoid eager loading
for anything that can be replaced by well-written queries.  I'd rather the
extra data were optionally retrieved than enforced across all applications
regardless of circumstance.

I asked one of the University's former EJBQL experts, Rogers George, and his
recommendation regarding using multiple join fetches is "don't."

He continues:

"You can only fetch one multi-valued association at a time in EJBQL.
Hibername 3 QL will let you, but it's almost always a bad idea; the
resultset becomes a cartesian product of the contents of the collections.
Just running the two queries instead is almost certainly faster.

If the two collections are nested, you can usually rearrange your query so
that it selects the "leaves" of your entity graph, and all the join fetch
clauses follow many-to-one relations back towards the root.  Then you can
iterate over the results directly without even triggering collection
fetches, and get at the root object with java accessors."

Big thanks to Rogers George for the above information.  My particular need
involves multiple collection-valued reference, and I'll be investigating
using fetch groups or fetch plans to tune my query for these tests.  Once
it's working, I'll try to post up some code snippets in case others have
this trouble down the line.

Cheers,
--
Alex