Thank you that explanation makes sense.

I added those and then found out that ejb.jar (or at least the copy that I
could find) does not include javax.ejb.MessageDriven or
javax.ejb.ActivationConfigProperty.

I found ejb-3_0-api.jar at
http://java.sun.com/products/ejb/docs.html under 3.0 Final release (download
class files) --> ejb-3_0-fr-api.zip
and that zip file expands into ejb-3_0-api.jar that includes those class
files and makes the compiler happy. However by all rights this qualifies as
beeing burried deep and I am wondering if I am really lost.

Is there a place where the appropriate libraries for ejb 3.0 are kept?

Thanks again for your help.
Mho