I created a patch for this issue based on code in 3.1.3.
Update details:

<<         context.setHandler(handler);

>>         SessionHandler sessionHandler = new SessionHandler();
>>         SessionManager sessionManager = new HashSessionManager();
>>         sessionManager.setIdManager(new HashSessionIdManager());
>>         sessionHandler.setSessionManager(sessionManager);
>>         sessionHandler.setHandler(handler);
>>
>>         context.setHandler(sessionHandler);

Session is returned with this small update.

Attaching full file.
http://openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/file/n3036011/JettyHttpServer.java
JettyHttpServer.java

It would be great if this one could be included into 3.1.4 release.

Regards,
ty