I use an empty BrokerXmlConfig in TomEE+ (which is only a JMS client
with a couple of MDBs in this scenario) and then this url:

  ServerUrl tcp://remote.host.name:61616

The remote host uses a standalone ActiveMQ default configuration,
fresh out of the box. I think useShutdownHook only applies on the
server end.

After some more suspicions and testing I found that using NIO on
the client works better:

  ServerUrl nio://remote.host.name:61616

This allows the transport thread to shut down immediately.

--
Björn Danielsson
Cuspy Code AB