You don't need that lifecycle plugin i showed unless m2e tells you that you
need it.  So I'm glad to hear you seem to be up and running now.

The "use workspace metadata (does not modify tomcat installation)" is the
option i use with my tomee server in eclipse.  I have also seen the
documentation that specifies to "use tomcat installation" because that used
to be the easiest way to get up and running with openejb and eclipse.  It
was always possible to use the "workspace metadata" option but it required
more detailed steps to get it set up and working.

Since 1.0.0 though i don't believe thats the case anymore and that you can
select the "use workspace metadata" option and it should just work.  Would
be good to get David to confirm that is the case.