Hello,

I'm a total newbie with JSF and can't get it to work on TomEE+ 1.5.1
(20121130.041650-92-plus). I use the snapshot plus because 1.5.0 didn't work
at all on my Windows computer and I'm just exploring all the features.

I'm currently trying to do the calculator example from TomEE examples, but
even the simplest jsf-file fails. (BTW. In the calculator example the Faces
Servlet is configured to handle *.jsf in web.xml, but the files are *.xhtml.
What's up with that?)

My configuration is explained here: http://pastebin.com/qe8PU0Cy .

This is the exception I have during startup:
--------
joulu 07, 2012 3:00:07 AP. org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
SEVERE: StandardWrapper.Throwable
java.lang.IllegalStateException: No Factories configured for this
Application. This happens if the faces-initialization does not work at all -
make sure that you properly include all configuration settings necessary for
a basic faces application and that all the necessary libs are included. Also
check the logging output of your web application and your container for any
exceptions!
If you did that and find nothing, the mistake might be due to the fact that
you use some special web-containers which do not support registering
context-listeners via TLD files and a context listener is not setup in your
web.xml.
A typical config looks like this;
<listener>

<listener-class>org.apache.myfaces.webapp.StartupServletContextListener</listener-class>
</listener>

        at javax.faces.FactoryFinder._getFactory(FactoryFinder.java:286)
        at javax.faces.FactoryFinder.getFactory(FactoryFinder.java:206)
        at javax.faces.webapp.FacesServlet.init(FacesServlet.java:116)
--------
The full startup log can be found from here:
http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=u092jxcA . I added the mentioned listener to
the web.xml but it does not affect anything (apart from the duplicate
complaint).

This is what happens when I try to open a JSF page:
--------
joulu 07, 2012 3:19:05 AP. org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher
invoke
SEVERE: Servlet.service() for servlet Faces Servlet threw exception
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
org.apache.myfaces.shared.context.flash.FlashImpl.isKeepMessages(FlashImpl.java:388)
        at
org.apache.myfaces.shared.context.flash.FlashImpl._saveMessages(FlashImpl.java:665)
        at
org.apache.myfaces.shared.context.flash.FlashImpl.doPostPhaseActions(FlashImpl.java:269)
        at
org.apache.myfaces.lifecycle.LifecycleImpl.render(LifecycleImpl.java:254)
        at javax.faces.webapp.FacesServlet.service(FacesServlet.java:199)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:305)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:210)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.invoke(ApplicationDispatcher.java:749)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.processRequest(ApplicationDispatcher.java:487)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.doForward(ApplicationDispatcher.java:412)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.forward(ApplicationDispatcher.java:339)
        at
org.apache.myfaces.context.servlet.ServletExternalContextImpl.dispatch(ServletExternalContextImpl.java:369)
        at
org.apache.myfaces.view.jsp.JspViewDeclarationLanguage.buildView(JspViewDeclarationLanguage.java:99)
        at
org.apache.myfaces.lifecycle.RenderResponseExecutor.execute(RenderResponseExecutor.java:78)
        at
org.apache.myfaces.lifecycle.LifecycleImpl.render(LifecycleImpl.java:241)
[...]
The above exception keeps on repeating.

The question is:
What should I do to make this work?

Could JSF be used with web-app version 3.0? It doesn't work either, the
examples use 2.5 and therefore I have that currently set in my web.xml.

I also have a couple of unrelated questions.

Question 2:
In some other examples over the Internet I've seen JSF to be done without
faces-config.xml. Can that be achieved with TomEE? Are there any benefits in
using the xml?

Question 3:
How could I get my META-INF/resources.xml file to affect anything? I have my
resources currently in tomee.xml, but would like to have it in the
resources.xml. The resources.xml is as below:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<resources>
<Resource id="mchakaDs" type="javax.sql.DataSource">
        JdbcDriver com.mysql.jdbc.Driver
        JdbcUrl jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/mchaka
        UserName root
        Password foobarawol
        JtaManaged true
</Resource>