haha okay... it is  primarily a file server, also has some other software
running on it, another database engine (Microsoft SQL, I think, but that's
not my software), that database engine is accessed by client software on
laptops connected to the LAN as well as remote connection (windows remote
desktop connection)...

outside of that...i really don't understand why @Stateless EJB referencing
other @Stateless EJB to perform database operations (insert into multiple
tables...'long' transaction)...does 'not' perform well at all, introduces
database locks when users are logged in the web app

CDI/JSF 'managed bean' referencing @Stateless EJB to perform database
operations has been the 'norm' in my web app, and this never introduce
database locks, deadlock situation, or people seeing exceptions with
eclipselink SQL in their Facesmessage after a long long wait... :)

i'm going with the managed bean --> @Stateless EJB approach, just need to
change around my code to do so.

will keep you posted.