>From an app dev perspective, I don't want to see any server specific
dependencies in my POMs. In theory, I should be fine using the offical
javax:javaee-api with scope provided. In practice, this is a real PITA
since Oracle provides munged bytecodes, which breaks most tests
https://community.jboss.org/wiki/WhatsTheCauseOfThisExceptionJavalangClassFormatErrorAbsentCode.

For this reason, I always use the Geronimo Spec APIs in place of
javax:javaee-api, but this is a bit tedious because there's no
umbrella jar and you need to pick all the individual spec jars.

So if Apache or anyone else provided a COMPLETE drop-in dependency,
app devs would require just one JAVA EE dependency.

This is completely unrelated to what you do in the server: it's just
irrelevant to the app dev whether you have an all-in-one-minus-faces
JAR or the whole lot of individual Geronimo spec JARs in tomee/lib.

Of course I could roll my own all-in-one dependency the way JBoss did,
only based on Apache artifacts, but why should every TomEE user have
to do that on their own?

Best regards,
Harald