Hello, Marc and Jeremy, others:

> I've been searching for a means to do something similar with JPQL but
haven't found anything yet

I'm wondering if the "SQL passthrough" extenion, see
http://n2.nabble.com/Queries-using-specific-SQL,-e.g.-functions,-or-spec
ific-operators---passthrough-SQL-pieces-without-full-native-query-td6688
56.html, could interest you?

> Can one do this with custom functions in OpenJPA ?

May be one could write your own JDBCFilterListener for a need like this?

It would be nice if this area was better documented...

Regards,
Michael