RJack,
Can you provide a bit more information on what your operating environment
is?  Are you using application-managed persistence contexts?  Or,
container-managed?  Are you using base WebSphere v6.1, v6.1 + EJB3 Feature
Pack, or v7?

You should not require any additional properties to get this running.
Except maybe for some Connection-related properties.  Since JPA is
optimistic by default, you should not set the LockManager to pessimistic --
unless your application requires this extension.

Being both an OpenJPA and WebSphere advocate, I would be interested in
understanding why you are having difficulties getting this combination to
run.  It should not be this difficult.  Thanks for your help in making these
products better.

Kevin