One other interesting bit of information...  I just heard that EclipseLink
runs with a data cache enabled by default, while OpenJPA and Hibernate do
not.  Although this setting may not get us completely out of this ManyToMany
performance hole, it is something to be aware of as these performance
benchmarks are done...

Kevin