Craig L Russell wrote:
Database users are notorious for wanting stability, even if it means running back-level releases. Somehow they manage to coerce vendors into supporting them on their running systems.

To get an accurate idea of our users' requirements, perhaps we need to include users@ in this discussion. Done. See" To:" line above.

But it's also clear that OpenJPA 2.0 will require Java 6. So I have no issues with making the switch for 2.0.

Agree.  I'd like us to require Java SE 6 for build and runtime.

But is it a problem staying with Java 5 for the 1.x lines?

No, I'd expect us to stay with the Java SE 5 binary compatible requirement for 1.0.x - 1.3.x, but allow 1.2.x and 1.3.x to be tested and used on Java SE 6.

Craig