Hi,
EntityListeners should work just fine with OpenJPA.  What version of
OpenJPA are you using?  The basic support is documented here:
http://ci.apache.org/projects/openjpa/trunk/docbook/manual.html#jpa_overview_pc_callbacks

Are there any other messages in the logs that indicate an issue?  Have you
tried turning on Trace to ensure that normal persistence processing is
happening?  Can you post your p.xml?  Like I mentioned, this should all
just work.  We'll need a bit more context to help figure out the problem.

Kevin