On Sat, 30 Nov 2013 11:09:09 -0500
"Maurice Howe" <maur...@stny.rr.com> wrote:

> BEWARE !!!
> The download of FreeOCR from CNET brought along a huge mess of excess
> baggage.  After 3 attempts at System Restore, running Malware Bytes, Spybot,
> RegCure and Stinger got rid of (what I hope is all of) 243 infections.
> There may be a "clean" version out there but this exercise scared me off.
>
> I'll try Dave's Google Drive method.  Thanks to all, but I thought this
> warning was in order.  Hope it saves others a lot of grief.
>
> Cheers,
> Maurice Howe
> I'm retired. Go around me.

The comments on the cnet freeocr page indicate such infestation.

You could try Calibre, downloading only from
http://calibre-ebook.com/
which will convert a PDF into text. Anything I have ever downloaded from that
calibre site has been clean.

As a general rule I suggest only to download from an application's own site.

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>