From: Think [mailto:thinkta...@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, December 01, 2013 11:58 AM
To: users@openoffice.apache.org
Subject: RE: PDF-to-ODT conversion

I downloaded from freeocr.net and also got other software with the OCR
program. It was an accept/decline statement and the first one got past me,
but I saw the others and declined. So when my daughter went to use my
browser to find a recipe for me she said "there's a weird browser on your
computer." This happened with dealslider a week ago when I downloaded a free
font browser.

Unfortunately, this one issue is one of the biggest issues for people
utilizing free and open source software -- it is not "verified" to not have
malware, etc. attached to it.

I am in the process of specifying open source software for a non profit
company I am building, and am swimming the waters myself to see what
problems are inherent in open source. It seems that this one is huge and
relatively insurmountable unless someone wants to start a foundation to cull
the software for cleanliness.

Also, many people such as myself trust CNET. Obviously that trust is
misplaced. So if not CNET, then whom?

Brenda Hart Neihouse