On 09/01/2014, users-digest-h...@openoffice.apache.org
<users-digest-h...@openoffice.apache.org> wrote:

>> with all respect, this is BAD advice. It's an easy way to accomplish
>> nothing AND get ignored or start more flamewars.

You're entitled to your opinion, I am only sharing my _personal_
satisfaction to be able to receive multiple messages in a single
digest message. You should respect your fellow readers, explain the
advantages of your personal preferences and let others make their own
decisions.

>> First, digest mode avoids NO pollution at all. If there are 100
>> useless or "nonsense" messages you still get ALL of them, just in one
>> batch, and mixed with all the others so they are HARDER to filter out.

It was never stated that digest mode does not prevent receipt of
undesired message, only that messages are collated.

>> Second, novices often answer to digests, when they don't start whole
>> new threads, by simply hitting "Reply" to the digest themselves. So:
>>
>> - almost nobody bothers to open those answers because they have a
>>   meaningless subject ("Re: digest of users@openoffice...")

Speak for yourself...

>> - every subscriber gets all the messages of the previous day AGAIN
>>   (which makes people with non-flat rate mobile connections
>>   veeeeeeeeery happy)

This is not true, depends on type of mailing list management software
and assumes the replier does not edit messages before dispatch.

>> - even people with flat rate connection start the usual flame war
>>   between top and bottom posters because they get 5 lines of new text
>>   before or after 1000 lines of digest

posting style complaint occurs without digest mode

>> PS: not for "novices to mailing list", but people who wants to "avoid
>>     the nonsense polluting the inbox" can completely filter out
>>     uninteresting threads with this procmail trick:

Interesting to know, but personally I like to receive a little
rubbish, only because (very) occasionally there is something useful.
Would I have learned about procmail filtering without your
un-solicited knowledge? ;) Similarly, very occasionally I review a
spam mail directory and see something useful. If everything was
perfectly efficiency, a lot of serendipitous information would be
lost! :)