On Wed, 23 Apr 2014 09:34:56 +0100
<andrew.2.d...@bt.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am a user of your Apache Open Office product, I have recently experienced
> some problems with my OO Writer files where all my files are returning a mess
> of ASCII Garble instead of the intended text.
>
> Can you help me please, I've checked the online help but I don't see any
> resolution to this issue...?
>
> Regards
>
> Andrew Dunn

It is often the case that when an OpenOffice file returns the ASCII filter
options screen it has become corrupted. Such corruption often occurs with
improper (too speedy) close down of the computer (not allowing time for
hardware/software write buffers to flush) or working direct to a USB stick and
improper observance of correct USB removal protocols.

Rename the files to type .zip (at operating system level) and see if an archive
utility will open the file. Your content should be in content.xml
If the files don't open the archive may be damaged. How much (if any) is
recoverable depends on which repair utility you use.

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>